Wednesday, December 2, 2009

November Weather Summary

At the end of October's monthly summary, I mentioned that the CPC suggested that November would be drier.  They were certainly right, and had it not been for a strong storm dumping over 2" on us mid-month, we would have reported much drier conditions for November.  As I stated in a previous post, we experienced 16 days without measurable precipitation; this is on the heels of the wettest month of the year.  The more than two week respite from the rain provided a chance for the farmers to get out and harvest most of their crops.  We still have beans and corn standing in places.

As of today, we have not seen any snow here in Fulton.  There are places in Mid-Missouri that have reported a trace of snow, but none here.  Therefore, the November snowfall average of 1.6" was not met.  To my knowledge, we ran a deficit on snowfall every month last winter.  Look forward to more complete data this year.

Temperatures


November ranked 9th warmest on history for Columbia, as this data depicts.  We only had 6 days with a below-average high temp, and 23 days above-average.


Mean High / (average):   60.2 / (53.4)  +6.8
Mean Low / (average):  41.4 / (33.0)  +8.4
Mean Temp / (average):  50.8 / (43.2)  +7.6
High Temp:  76° on November 7
Low Temp:  27° on November 27


Precipitation

As stated before, we experienced a 16-day dry spell, which was abruptly ended by a 2.08" rain on the 15th (made the deer hunters pretty mad).  The 5-day precip total from the 15th - 19th was 2.86".  This means that 97% of our precip total for the month fell in this 5-day period.





Average monthly total for November:  3.85"
Actual monthly total for November:  2.94"
Deviation:  -0.91"

This is the first time we have had a deficit of precipitation since January.





Although we ran a deficit, we are still above the past two Novembers

For the year, we currently have a surplus of 15.98", which is unbelievable to me considering some people only get that much a year.  I am up to two years since I last watered my yard.  That's almost unheard of in Missouri, since we almost always have a grass-killing drought sometime each summer.




Data disaggregation of days with precip:



Missing something?  Snow graph.  Hopefully I'll have one for you next month.

5 comments:

Josh Herman said...

Your surplus of precipitation is extreme. I suppose there are two large rivers near you for a reason, eh?!

Our 4th all-time warmest mean temp for November is lower than your average mean temp. I thought that was interesting, as it shows that our areas do differ dramatically but when large scale fronts move in and out we have many similarities at the same time.

The weather station at your school isn't reporting a temperature. I am sure you are aware... but I thought I'd throw that out there.

WxWatcher said...

Thanks for letting me know about the temp. sensor. I was able to catch the temperature problem right away (as I've had problems with Oregon Scientific before). Unfortunately, this was our fault...Our custodian selflessly volunteered to attach the temperature sensor, but unfortunately he attached it upside down! So when the first rain came, it collected inside the sensor and fried it. :(

Good news is, OS said they would replace it anyway! Bad news, it'll take 4-6 weeks. And we Just started our weather unit! It's still cool to study the wind/pressure/precip data that it posts.

That is very interesting about your record temp and my mean temp. I never thought there would be such a spread between us.

Josh Herman said...

Here you go WxWatcher!

5-10 Day Snowfall Forecast

WxWatcher said...

Woo-hoo!!!

I think I'll do a little dance if I get a snow day on my birthday this year.

Anonymous said...

Wow, the rain fried part of the station? :O

We could get some snow today, nothing extreme, but a good 1-3 inches is possible.

Chris