Friday, November 27, 2009

December Outlook...Cold and Active??

Record cold October...check

Near record warm November...check

Record cold December?

I saw an interesting blog entry from the local TV station (KMIZ) tonight.  They frequently do a superb job of keeping the public updated with any potential weather threat as early as they can.  This particular entry caught my attention with the words "colder than average month, and very active as well".

Watch the video

This reminds me of the last significant snow event we experienced here in Fulton.  It was November 30 - December 1, 2006.  Fulton officially recorded 14.2" during that period.  Interestingly enough, I was watching the weather that day (no school that day obviously), when I saw an advertisement for CoCoRaHS on the local CBS station, it was the first I had heard of it.

Here is the great write up the NWS in St. Louis made on the storm.

They added an amazing satellite pic from the MODIS polar orbiting satellite that shows the grandeur of this awesome storm.  OSNW3, looking at your data, you managed to squeeze 1.1" out of the system.



(Source:  nasa.gov)

Follow the source link for higher-resolution pictures


2 comments:

Josh Herman said...

WxWatcher, yeah we just missed out on that storm. The WWTP down the road only measured a half inch. I recall my in-laws dealing with major power outages and after checking out the link you provided many people were affected just not by the snow but by power outages that lasted days.

Great vid, I hope that guy is right. If he is, please share your snow with us! We'll be in STL for five days over the Christmas holiday and it would be nice to have a white Christmas down there.

WxWatcher said...

Yeah, the video got me pretty excited. The past two winters have left much to be desired. At this point, I'm not opposed to some back-breaking shoveling. *I may regret that*

I'm up for a white Christmas as well. We're actually spending our Christmas at my in-laws in Warrenton this year...just down the road from you guys. If you guys get some time, we all aught to hook up. There's a Starbucks in Wentzville that calls my name every time we visit them.