Monday, June 8, 2009

June 8 Morning Storm

I was surprised to see some yellow on the radar when I got up this morning at 4:30. A large cell was marching ENE across the middle of the state at a quick pace. Some minor hail was expected and brief heavy rain.

The storm sped up as it approached our area, and finally hit at 5:30 a.m. We had moderate rain and light wind at the beginning, but then the wind picked up to a recorded gust of 24 mph, and we had hail between 1/4" and 1/2" slamming into the house for about a minute. (Luckily the girls didn't wake up!). I put on my spotter hat and called it in, as well as our rainfall amount. In a period of 30 minutes, we received 1.15" of rain.

I will take a picture of the hail pad and post it soon.

Active weather week ahead!

2 comments:

Josh Herman said...

Holy man... over an inch in a 30 minutes. Impressive! Hail pad please!

Ami Jo said...

Wow!!!! I can't believe you got that much rain in that amount of time (and that it didn't wake up the girls!)

I've been too busy to really look into the weather forecast for this week. I've heard that we have a chance of severe weather popping up this afternoon.

I have a favor to ask...can you change my email address on your notification settings to my yahoo one? Thanks!! Hope you are having a terrific Monday! :)